Did you know that there are currently NO homeless shelters in Beaufort County?
Did you also know that the average age of a homeless person in the United States is NINE YEARS OLD?
Sea Island Presbyterian Church has joined with Family Promise of Beaufort County to proclaim with our words and our actions that one homeless child is too many. Through Family Promise, homeless families are joined with twelve local churches that provide shelter, meals, and support to these families as they work toward lasting independence. In addition, Family Promises connects families with education and community resources designed to address the underlying causes of homelessness. Sea Island serves as a host church four times a year. We provide dinner, overnight accommodations, and breakfast for up to four families on our campus. It requires at least 55 people to turn our church into a comfortable home for our guests during that week. Please review the list of volunteer opportunities below and consider how you might give of your time to provide a warm welcome to our guests.
- Sunday Setup Crew – At 12:00 p.m. on the first Sunday of our host week, we need a crew to assist in setting up guest rooms in the church.
- Meals – Volunteers provide a meal (or part of a meal) each night during Family Promise. Meals must be delivered to the church by 5:30 p.m.
- Evening Hosts (6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.) – Evening hosts serve for one evening during the week to provide fellowship and share a meal with our guests. Evening hosts may assist children with homework, play games with children, or share conversation with adults. This is a great opportunity for families.
- Overnight Hosts (8:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.) – Overnight hosts serve for one night during the week. One man and one woman will spend the night at the church to be available to help our guests in case of an emergency.
- Sunday Clean-up Crew – At 6:30 a.m. on the final day of our host week, prior to church services, these hands will help guests pack up their belongings.
- Laundry – Following the Clean-up, volunteers are needed to launder the linens and towels from the host week. Linens and towels are returned to the church where they are stored.